Friday, December 30, 2011

Idiopathic Geriatric Vestibular Syndrome


9-20-2004 Am, not feeling so good.

In 2005, two things stand out amid the wreckage of memory. First of all, I became obsessed with the idea that I was about to loose my job. The crazy Governor was cutting the budget, and I felt vulnerable. Among the ideas I had for withstanding the uncertainty was to plead with my unit head for a more stable form of appointment. How long had I been a ‘visiting lecturer’, after all? Part of my idea about how the levers of the world worked, at least university-style, was to have a second offer in hand to use for bargaining purposes. As luck would have it, another opportunity in my field arose and I set about applying. I had a good set of references, so I got an interview. This meant a plane ride to Ohio. Now that Del was in my life, and seeing as how Del was unemployed, I had a cat sitter at hand.

Amethyst took this opportunity to become truly alarmingly sick. This time, it had nothing to do with vomiting. All of a sudden, she could not walk. I was laying on my pallet, a mattress I had had custom made which I left on the floor without the benefit of box springs, the green blanket pulled up, just waking up from an afternoon nap, looking into the afternoon light, my eyes seeking Amethyst. Here she comes. Not walking, but crawling, towards the bed. Just like that. No balance. It was very much like the drunken cat we had seen in the run up to the road trip. Now, however, there was no obvious reason. The mind races in these situations. It’s not just me. Look at the Internet and type in anything you can think of that might have gone wrong with your pet. You will find page after page on multitudinous sites expressing the racing mind, sinking spirits, heartbreaking questions, and plenty of advice. I was on the phone to the vet. What can this be? The magnitude was beyond my experience, and the outcome seemed potentially terrible. Spinal injury? How? Poison? Well, what? Amethyst, on the bed, is lolling her head around, trying to get a look at me, but not really able to get the muscles together to keep a position. She’ll eat and drink, but you have to do it all by hand. The vets can’t do anything over the phone, of course. For some reason, I don’t trust them. The closest thing I can find that resembles her symptoms is on a canine site: geriatric vestibular syndrome. All of a sudden, your dog can’t stand up. It lolls its head around. It might vomit because it has lost balance. At last, we’re getting somewhere. Amethyst is not vomiting, for once. Loss of balance was not something that nauseated her. Maybe cats don’t balance the way that dogs and humans do. Maybe, in the differences between us as beings, our responses to various situations suit our constitutions. Some people toss their cookies on the roller coaster. Amethyst was a great rider in the car, and her sensitive stomach was not upset by not knowing which way was up. Maybe, though, she knew which way was up. Maybe she just couldn’t get her muscles to obey. That was the behavioral presentation: I had a cat that had no muscular control. It was not that she wasn’t trying. Making for the cat box, there was no mistaking the intention. You had to pick her up and complete the trip. When did I have to be in Ohio? What day was my flight?
Del in my bed, with Thyst
Some of the info on geriatric vestibular syndrome was frightening. Sometimes afflicted animals do not recover. Euthanasia was recommended for these animals. Among the potential causes of the syndrome: infection of the ear, brain trauma, and cancer. An ear infection I could see treating with antibiotics, but the other items sounded deadly. I could imagine an expensive course of treatment ending up with euthanasia. Now we look over at the cat, to see that beautiful, charming animal that has by now totally infused life as we know it, to try to determine the level of suffering. For the life of me, though, I had seen more evidence of suffering, more pitiful vocal expressions of suffering, in the moments just before the hacking up of a hairball. Perhaps the vestibular whatever it is has robbed the cat of her voice. Still, I’m just not detecting suffering from this animal. Am I going to euthanize Amethyst just because I have to carry her to the cat box?  Somewhere, on some site’s discussion, I ran across the comforting term “idiopathic.” There it is: ‘feline idiopathic vestibular syndrome’. Idiopathic = “we don’t know what causes it.”  Might last a week, might last two months, might be something serious. Clearly, this was a case for Christian Science. Let’s have the power of positive thinking.

I went to Ohio. I remember meeting many lovely people, taught a good class, made some good music. In the middle of one class that I was playing for as an audition, a dancer went down, injured. I sat at the piano in the chaotic silence looking out with concern at the crying dancer and those administering first aid. Was there more I could do? Everything is part of the audition process. Later, taking a walking tour of the campus, Spring just beginning to soften the temperature, a faculty member tells of her husband’s medical crises. I blurt out that my cat has some weird disease, and that I’m very worried about it.

Del stayed over at my apartment in Champaign in my absence and nursed Ammy. On the phone, Del says ‘Amethyst is mostly the same, maybe a bit better’. I can pin my hopes to ‘a bit better’.  I didn’t get the job, so we didn’t move to Ohio. Amethyst recovered. She lived on to die on another early morning, several human living spaces down the stream of time. Is it my imagination, working on the memories, trying to make things add up to something? I really do think that after each crisis, there was a little less spirit in Amethyst. She had so much ‘fire’, to snatch a single word from Shelley’s poetic phrase ‘grace of fire’, that her aging process moved forward imperceptibly. She quit jumping up on anything over her floor level by one and a half feet. At first one got the impression that she could, but wouldn’t. Then, one could see that she couldn’t when she tried. At what point did I come to hate the long walks that I used to love as a young man? I am poised now between won’t and can’t. Cats seem blessed because they don’t manifest the modals should, could, or may.
Enhanced by Zemanta