Friday, December 30, 2011

Last Trips to the Vet 1


July 21, 2009. Last living photos series. Back from vet's.
The vet had sounded so kindly on the phone. He seemed to be the man for my cat. In person, he was trim, with bright-eyes full of what I took to be wisdom. Eventually I realized that there should’ve been a sign at our exit to draw attention to him: “Local character, this exit.” He turned out to be a cross between Dr. House and Vincent D’Onofrio, the latter at his head-tilting worst in the heat of an intellectually charged perpetrator interview. This vet was a piece of work. I took Amethyst to his office in her carrier, more or less to show that I had one, and also to protect her from other pets waiting in the waiting room if there were any. There were no other animals or owners present in the clinic. No one other than vet’s assistant was in the waiting room. I was immediately shown to an examining room, where I took Amethyst out of the carrier. She was calm and quiet.

The vet was tall, in good shape, and about sixty years old. The assistant, a young woman with black hair and a calm demeanor, put Amethyst on a scale and then on a metal table. She began brushing the cat with a flea comb. There were gobs of fur piling up on the table. The vet had a clipboard in hand. Having taken my name and the name of my cat, and noted the cat’s weight, began to interview me about the purpose of my visit. I explained my thesis that, perhaps due to old injuries during to periods of outdoor roaming, the cat might be suffering from aches and pains, perhaps arthritis. He instructed the assistant to put Amethyst on the floor and let her roam. I felt myself blushing as I volunteered some of what I knew about Amethyst’s history. I tried to steer clear of my idea about “the Christian Science Health Plan”, but I told the story about the idiopathic geriatric vestibular syndrome. When I mentioned that I had learned on the web that “idiopathic” means, “we don’t know what causes it”, he had an odd reaction.
“Because you read it on the internet, that makes it true?”
“Uh, no…”
“Well, what is your relationship to this cat?”
“Beg pardon?”
“I mean what do you think of her? How do you think of her?”
“I think of her as a very beautiful animal.”
“Just an animal?”
This was such an outlandish thing to suggest. I got where he was going, and I felt my face turning purple with indignation.
            “No…she is…also my beloved pet.”
            “OK then, that’s better. Because we expect a certain commitment to treatment.”
I was now totally disarmed, no longer in control of a situation where control should not have been even an issue. This was a veterinarian, a person I was going to compensate for ministering to my animal, my beloved pet. Whatever. Meanwhile, Amethyst was exploring the place freely.
            “Let’s have a look.”
The assistant picks the cat up and puts her back on the table. She looks into Amethyst’s eyes and her own eyes tear up. “Beautiful…”, she says, almost whispering. “Yes. She’s seen a lot,” says the vet. These two, I think, are talking nonsense. He’s applying a stethoscope. “Strong heart.” He’s feeling along the outlines of her body, probing for tumors and anomalies. This is what I expect a vet to do, I think. But then he opens the cat’s mouth and sees the results of years of no dental work. “Yuck!” I have opened myself up to this, I’m thinking. I’m guilty, as charged. He gets out the model of the teeth showing various stages of decay. I’m nursing my own bad teeth in my mouth. I hate dentists.

The vet now asks me if I’m willing to have Amethyst sedated for a full blood workup. He explains that he has wonderful new software that returns the analysis in about 20 minutes. He explains that the anesthetic he will use does not “knock her out,” but instead leaves her aware but with her body sensations disabled and her sense of time altered. “She won’t remember she was here.” I want some of that, I’m thinking. “Are there risks?” I’m asking, trying to regain my preferred posture as a responsible pet owner. “Certainly. With an animal of this advanced age, the administration of anesthetic poses a certain amount of risk. However, it is the only way to get our bearings on what is going on with her blood chemistry. I leave it entirely up to you.”

I consent. The fur is shaved. The dose is injected. Amethyst retches. “OK. I see what she’s going to do,” he says. In a minute or so, though, she’s head down on the table, eyes open, mouth open, drooling, breathing shallowly, and still. He gets out a big syringe, uses a little bit of alcohol on a cotton swab, and draws the blood. The blood goes into a turret of small vials. The last vial is wanting in sample volume, so he draws a little more blood. The vet disappears into the deeper recesses of the clinic to use his sample analyzer. He returns after a few minutes and has me take the cat off the table and hold her on a towel in my lap. He instructs me to not cut off her windpipe. I’m supporting her head. She has no physical resistance. She is breathing and drooling as before, still inert. The twenty minutes crawl by.

Now comes the vet with the verdict. It is a lengthy explanation of the physiology of liver failure and kidney disease precipitated by toxins in the lesions of the mouth. Somewhere in there he says, “I use everything in my diagnostic approach. All my senses, including smell.” I’m wondering if maybe I should have taken another shower before heading to the vet’s. I try to convince myself that he’s a doctor, and he’s talking about my cat. In the end, he tells me that my cat is suffering from advanced and chronic kidney disease, that she has infections in her mouth, and that her condition is a two on that famous one to ten scale. He gives me some oral antibiotics, and sends me home with a tube of a paste nutritional supplement called NutriCal and a bag of Hill’s kidney/diabetes formula kibble. I also buy a carton of the cans. He begins to flag as he works up the bill. He says that his voice is giving out, that he’s been doing a lot of talking. The bill is significant. Also, there was more vetting to be done. The vet had made clear that a follow up visit would be in order.

I pick up the towel with the cat still insensible on it and put her gingerly in the car. After some two hours at the veterinarian’s, we are heading for home at last. I came with what I thought was an ancient but healthy cat with an idea I would make her aging life more comfortable. I was returning with a chronically ill cat with a new diet and meds.

Post anesthetic, Amethyst was out cold on her pet bed. She still was wrapped in the towel that the vet had put her in. She was drooling. Her breathing was shallow. I went about my business, looking in on her every now and then. On one such peek, I found her up on her haunches, puking. When she finished with that, she flopped back down. But she was now awake. After a time, she was up and about. She drank some water. She ate some of the new kibble, mixed in with the old. In the evening, she took her antibiotic with a minimum of complaint. It was a relief that she’d eat the Hill’s K/D formula. She was not as stoked about the canned version. A look at the Hill’s site suggested that feeding both kibble and canned diminished the effectiveness of the products, but I decided that I would give both anyway. What, after all, made anything read on the Internet true? Was it the fact that it was published on a manufacturer’s web site? She was always a free choice kibble eater, and she always got canned food as a treat.


It would not have been unreasonable, after that first visit, to seek out a second opinion. I did not even think of it. Perhaps I had been sufficiently insulted and heavily billed to feel that I was getting my money’s worth. Perhaps I had not really been insulted after all, that it was all just my own projection and sensitivity. Still, I reported my impressions to Del. For a week, Amethyst ate the new diet without rebellion. In the second week, she continued drinking, but began to cut back her consumption of food. She also cut back her activity level to match. I decided this was not a good sign. On July 9th, I took Amethyst in for the first of two a follow-ups. The Doctor injected some nutrient, some antibiotic, and sent me home with a tube of NutriCal. NutriCal, a molasses-like nutritional supplement that comes in a tube, was familiar to me from an earlier experience as a cat owner. I had once nursed an orange longhair back from the brink of death by feline infectious peritonitis following a spaying. I had smeared the stuff on the animal’s face and mouth until the cat rebounded. Now I was going to use it to “perk up” Amethyst’s appetite. She was a bit tentative at first, but in short order, she took a liking to the NutriCal. This became a treat for her. It remained a jones of hers until her final few days.
Enhanced by Zemanta