Friday, December 30, 2011

The Outside World


Am's World

 Amethyst most certainly did bounce back from this ordeal. She became a favorite subject of my casual photography. I got her on videotape playing the game with the string. She had already gotten bored with the ball chasing. I took her places other than the vet in the car. She had been an indoor/outdoor cat all of her life. Now, deprived of unsupervised access to the outside world, I felt that I owed her some entertainment along this line. We went to remote places where she could stroll and not get away. She never bolted. She loved to stand and work her nose in the breeze. My attention span on these outings was more limited than hers. I would invariably pick her up and bring her home before she was ready to pack it in.

The work year started back up in the fall, and I had less time to roam. I kept up the outside world entertainment by taking Amethyst down to sidewalk and letting her walk and sniff. There was also, by my building, on a side street with less traffic, a little grassy lot. The lot featured at this time a pile of abandoned cars. The cars were literally in a pile, shoved close to each other, and on top of one another. On one occasion, Amethyst tired of eating the grass (which she always later puked), and went off in the direction of the cars. A fence enclosed the cars. She found the fence easily permeable.  I did not. I found myself looking on as Amethyst squeezed under the fence, jumped up onto the hood of a rusty sedan, and from that perch, leaped to the hood of a van missing all of its windows. I wasn’t sure exactly what she was after, but I was already looking for a way to climb the fence myself. When I next got Amethyst in sight, she was on the roof of the van, trotting briskly towards the back of the vehicle. I realized now that there was no glass in the van’s many rear windows. No sooner had I had this thought than I watched my “senior citizen” do a very spry thing. Amethyst did a sort of a flip off the back of the roof, really a matter of stretching to get a footing from the roof to the lower part of the windowsill.  Then, in continuous motion and letting gravity do most of the work, she found the next foothold, which was inside the van. Vanished. I could not figure out how she was going to reverse this action. I knew that if she finally wanted to get back out, she probably could do it somehow. I knew that I had other things to do that afternoon, and waiting for Amethyst to emerge again was not on the agenda. I did not immediately see how I was going to get over the pile myself and get into the van.  I immediately set to frantic work doing just that, cursing my foolishness as a pet handler all the while. What made me think this cat was going to do what I expected every time I gave her even limited access the outside world and all of its opportunity for sin and adventure? Clearly, I had now been disabused of this idyllic notion. My concept of limits was strictly from my anthropoid point of view. Her view offered a wider range of possible moves. Now I had seen one of these moves. Incredible. Damn!

After some sweating, climbing, and yanking on rusted metal, I got access to the inside of the van. There was Amethyst, upside down, looking at me, but in the middle of having a nap on a warm, filthy cloth seat. I quickly scooped her up, and working carefully so that there would be no vet or doctor bills, got out of the van, back down to the ground, and back over the fence with her. She moved one notch closer to being a sequestered indoor cat.

The interior of my apartment building featured an adjoining warehouse space. It was only one door beyond mine. The fuse box for my apartment was contained in there, and so, with a screwdriver, I could gain access. (Amethyst and I had similar proclivities, come to think of it.) On one occasion when both the door to the warehouse and the door to our apartment were open, Amethyst naturally discovered the warehouse. This was a sort of feline paradise. It, after all, might contain an exit to the outside world. That had been the lay of the land at Shelley’s. No matter how many doors were closed or opened, there was always a way in and out. The warehouse did not have an exit, so far as I knew. (There was an elevator and shaft, but I really deemed that too much for even this Houdini cat.) In any case, the space was still paradise for Ammy. Birds had died in there. There might have been rodents. Not those boring rodents that had been vanquished at Shelley’s and then negotiated with when they reemerged, but real rat sized worthies. Even if this drool inducing prospect were proved false, there were so many nooks and crannies to explore that the cat imagination went wild.  Or so it seemed. It again took me awhile to locate the cat in this gloom. When she had been once again secured behind closed doors, she now knew about this world so near and yet so far. If permitted into the hallway, for many years after this experience, she would pace and sing a song of desire. It was the same song, repeated over and over. It sailed forth on a rising series of yells and the iterations concluded with a breathy snort. I recorded this song while trying out a new mini-disc recorder. It is among the best mementos of Amethyst that I possess.

As the cool weather settled in, some of my routines had to be adjusted to accommodate the cat. I liked to heat only a few rooms by keeping doors closed. Amethyst liked to roam from room to room. I put up blankets, weighted at the bottom so that they would fall to the floor when disturbed, and left the doors open. Amethyst loved the radiator-style electric heaters. She would jam her head between the fins and cook her brain. She also began joining me in my bed, becoming much more affectionate, wanting the warmth of another mammal. She had a different sleeping rhythm than I did. She would sleep close to my head, and when she felt it was time to be up and crinkling packages, she’d wap my head gently with a paw. I took to calling her the ‘four-legged alarm clock’.

So it went until Christmas time. I had, surely, spoken to Shelley off and on about taking Amethyst back. She now replied to these requests by saying that “the missing cat signs were up again”, expressing the idea that some Satanic Cult in Urbana was killing household pets for ‘worship’.  Her permeable place was no place for “an old lady cat still with the grace of fire.” Now I wanted to travel home to DC for a week over the holidays, and I wanted Shelley to at least watch Amethyst for the duration. There was a new impediment: Shelley had gotten another, younger, cat. Mice overran her place. She needed a mouser. I insisted, and I got my reprieve. I returned Amethyst to Shelley, with bowls, litter box and food. The understanding was that I would take Amethyst back when I returned. (Did I think that I would get away with simply ignoring this deal, as Shelley had done with me? I might have thought so on one level, but on another, I had already become attached to Amethyst. I took my trip. When I returned, Shelley reported that she had had a fright, because Amethyst had disappeared. The kids had been asking how long that cat was going to stay, because she made ‘that noise’ all the time. It kept them awake at night. Amethyst had been found. She had escaped the territory of the new, aggressive, interloping cat and taken up residence in the unheated garage. It was not hard to see this turn of events in the paw prints that cluttered the snowy ground between the garage and the house. My recollection is that I said to Shelley, “it’s your cat, it’s time you took her back.” I can’t remember when this conversation took place. The response I got was, “then I will have her euthanized.” Whenever these words were actually exchanged between us, or whether I have concatenated several conversations, it eventually was clear that the roof over her original homestead was no longer Amethyst’s to enjoy. Not even for a visit. When I went to Shelley’s to bring her back to my apartment, I found her asleep on a second floor bed. She was comfortable there. She did not even look up at me when I entered the room. I don’t have a clear memory of bringing her back in the car with her box, bowls, and food.

11-21-02 (video still)
Enhanced by Zemanta