Friday, December 30, 2011

Road Warrior in Training


The Flehmen Reaction 4-27-2003
Late in the year, having been on some of the worst dates ever, having worked harder than ever at my academic job, and having established that Amethyst was actually quite good in the car, I decided to try traveling with her long distance for the Winter holidays. We would go home to visit my siblings and parents in Maryland for Christmas. Then, we’d swing up the coast and visit the reader in Connecticut for New Year’s. First, however, we would practice up. I called around, polling friends and relatives as to cat travel experiences. Some reported that their cats hated the car and would begin to drool and vomit just getting near the auto-beast. Almost no one had any experience with trouble free long distance travel with a cat. I took two tacks simultaneously. I continued to increase the range of our trips, and I decided to get Amethyst some meds. One long trip was to the outskirts of Tolono, where my colleague’s wife had the equestrian operation going. Amethyst was great in the car on this 30-minute ride. She took one look at the horses beyond the wooden fence, something she had never experienced before, and began literally backing up in the grass.

Next, she went with me to Indianapolis. I visited the Guitar Center and purchased some necessities while she hung out in the car. This trip was about an hour and a half each way. This was long enough to give me an idea what Amethyst was like on the long haul. She stayed in my lap for short periods. She worked her way back into the back of the hatchback. She used her litter box while en route without complaint or difficulty. Likewise, she ate and drank. It was difficult to keep a bowl full of water from spilling in a moving vehicle, but there was always some water that stayed in the bowl. My general impression was that of a restless, wakeful animal, not in distress, but not able to relax either. She worked in a circle around the interior of the car, exactly as she worked in any other interior human space she inhabited. She just did it all much more rapidly. The pace of her routine, then, was proportionate to the size of the enclosure. I did the driving in a very focused way. I had in the back of my mind the fate of David Crosby’s ‘Guinevere’, who lost control of the vehicle and died while trying to take her kitties to the vet. At no time did Amethyst threaten to get underfoot, get her appendages caught up in the steering wheel, or lacerate me to the point of distraction.

By now, it was late November. I took her to the vet. Between this visit and the last, Leroy Nietzel had retired. In his stead, Amethyst saw a younger man who was perfectly competent. He looked her over, updated her vaccinations, and sent us home with a bottle of a half dozen tablets of a cat-sized dose of Diazepam (5mg). I had done the previous car rides without a pet carrier. Now I purchased one and read the instructions. As per, I put Ammy’s food dishes in the carrier and left the door open. She went in and ate. Next, after a few days of this, I tried closing her in. She was good for about two minutes, and then she got a paw in the grate of the door and gave it a shake. I noticed her looking up at the upper grate, anxiously. I am not anthropomorphizing. There is no mistaking the look of anxiety in the eyes and face of a cat. With meezers, the expression is amplified by the blue of the irises. I took care not to leave Amethyst in the cage significantly beyond her comfort zone. Little by little, I increased her time. She tolerated it, but she was now resistant to getting in the cage on a volunteer basis.

The next step was to try the meds. I had the temporary assignment over the Thanksgiving break of watching the cat of a graduate student who had gone home to her family. I hatched a plan to dose Amethyst, put her in the carrier, and take her with me on my rounds to visit with and feed Dixie. I figured Amethyst had grown up with other dogs and cats. Besides, she’d be out of it, in her carrier. In the end, this scheme resulted in a situation that was, as they say, an, ahem, ‘learning experience’. There were too many variables for good science. The first thing I did (wrong) was to half the dose. I slipped a cut Diazepam tablet into a spoonful of Savory Salmon. Ammy scarfed it down. After about five minutes, Amethyst was unsteady on her legs. In another minute or two, she was face down on the floor, legs splayed out to the sides. She was not, however, out cold. She was wide-awake. She had the munchies. She worked her way to her bowls, using her limbs in whatever way she could to get there. She could not really get up, so she spilled the water and ended up face down in the rest of the Savory Salmon. She had to be rescued from this position. She was busy trying to lick the Salmon off her face. In retrospect, this condition of her physical body did not seem to distress her. She did not call or make any noise about it. This was true of Amethyst to the end of her life. She bore whatever her body dished out in silence, with grace. The only time she would vocalize about feeling bad was when she was about to vomit, and she would only do this on occasions of extreme nausea. Ordinary nausea she bore with the same stoic silence. From this, I knew that she was at least capable of expressing pain, that she was not really being stoic. It was, in fact, actual pain that elicited a response. Mere disorientation or discomfort did not, in her behavioral makeup, deserve a display. I, however, was distressed on her behalf. I was now stuck. I did not want to give her more Diazepam and put her out the rest of the way. I was not sure that I could get a pill down her throat the hard way, and I certainly couldn’t do it the way I’d done it before. Her attempt to satisfy her munchies while drunk was still in evidence in her whiskers. Oh well. I put her in the carrier. She was at least perfectly happy to be let down into it this time. Out the door, down the steps, out to the car, and over to Dixie’s we went. It was a very short trip of only two miles. Dixie was happy to see us. Amethyst, in her carrier, was not happy to see Dixie. Amethyst, now on alert and standing up in the carrier, had her back arched and was hissing a blue streak. I took the carrier into a closed bedroom. I opened the door to the carrier, and out she staggered. She was at least up on her feet! She went straight to a mirror where she arched her back and hissed at her own image. I left her to it while I went to feed Dixie. When I got back to the bedroom, Amethyst was under the bed, looking out at me, sitting down on her haunches, all paws tucked under, in meat loaf position. It was back in the carrier and back home with her. By the time we got home, she was recovered enough to eat the rest of the Salmon. She got over her big adventure as quickly as she had embarked on it. I never gave her any more Diazepam.


5-6-2003
Enhanced by Zemanta