Friday, December 30, 2011

Regrets in Advance


5-23-03 Ever the Sun Seeker
As time passed, and Amethyst aged, I became used to the lingering wish that I had never said yes to taking her for the original two weeks. As the weeks became years, I absolutely did miss the ability to travel freely. I did not find her upkeep onerous, generally, but I knew I was becoming steadily more attached to her company. I nursed her through several illnesses. I occasionally paid some hefty vet bills, and I was always questioning the level of veterinary care she got. I said, from time to time, that she had lived a long life, and that she was on the Christian Science health plan. This was not born out by my actions. I could have exercised more alacrity in preventive maintenance. (That would have been true of my own attitude towards my own health care at that time.) I was mindful, with each year that passed, with each crisis that was survived, that I had taken over the care of a life that was finite. I was not looking forward to the endgame. In that fear, I was absolutely justified. I don’t think I would ever do what my friend Shelley had done. I consider it unethical to trick someone into taking an animal, whether or not they are amenable to the trickery. She has said that it was an act of love. If this is love, and it serves as a justification for reallocating a companion animal, it needs to be examined by a lawyer (or a shrink) for loopholes. Love is another one of those human experiences that results in attachment. It ends in either death or a certain amount of grief. To collapse the experience into a syllogism, to give someone an animal is to foment an attachment. Attachments, to the extent that they deepen, lead to that level of grief. I was not looking forward to the gift of grief. When it came, it felt like - and still feels, some nine months after the fact, like the same bruising experience that love (including the loving of Shelley) has been. Pet ownership might add years to one’s life. The loss of a companion, by the abrasive emotion of grief, takes those years back. Do the arithmetic, but let the story continue. Let the claws of attachment, relaxed for a moment where I paused in the winter of 2002 sink in deeper.

For me, 2003 dawned clear with conviction. It was lovely to be sleeping with Amethyst, but the nine-pound cat did not generate human warmth. She was not my species. As the year progressed, I developed the idea that I needed to be ‘more proactive’ about finding a human companion. It was not that I was setting out to find a wife. I had the idea that an intimate friendship would be good. I was not getting any younger. I had attempted to write some new pages for Shelley’s script, but she had torn them right back out again. None who observed this action were surprised in the least by this outcome. I had ended up with Amethyst as a significant consolation prize. I had also exhausted the very limited options in the circle of my colleagues and their acquaintances. I had a good email correspondence going with the sister of a colleague. She sent me books to read from her perch as a publisher’s reader in Connecticut. As winter gave way to spring, I signed up for Match dot com.

Meanwhile, Amethyst had by now completely settled in. She talked a lot, but in civilized tones. She did make the Siamese call - a loud yowl, which my powers of language are insufficient to describe, other than to say it sounded like she was being killed the hard way - after either eating or using the litter box. She always insisted on eating some of what I ate. I gradually started her on significantly better, geriatric-appropriate cat food. She continued to play, but also in a more age-appropriate manner. She quickly learned how to get me to do most of the work. She was the subject of a significant number of photographs. She charmed every visitor to my apartment. She continued to take short trips in my car to destinations where she could be outside on a carefully supervised ‘nature walk’. She sat in my lap while I wrote. She slept most of the day, sometimes with her legs up in the air, paws folded down towards her body. I called this pose the ‘pineapple upside down cat’.

6-30-07 Pineapple Upside Down Cat
Enhanced by Zemanta