Friday, December 30, 2011

The Last Road Trip


7-2007 Ready to ride.
In the summer of 2007, Del and I wanted to take a road trip back East. Our destination was to be the mountain cabin that my parents own in Virginia. From the cabin, we could visit Washington D.C., and swing by my childhood home in Maryland and visit my folks. Since it was clear by now that boarding Amethyst was out of the question, and since she was already a road warrior cat, we decided to take her along. There was no longer any question of drugging her, but I had questions about her ability to withstand a trip of any sort at her age. A trial run was set up to explore her ability to cope. We took her on a ride of about forty minutes to a place that we were sure would be cat heaven: a lake, a campground, a hiking trail. The day was hot, and the car’s air conditioning had failed. We kept the windows part way down, and kept moving. When we arrived at the lake, Amethyst was already panting, her teeth exposed, and her tongue extended. I’d never seen that face before. It was not good. It was the same face I’d see frozen by rigor mortis about two years later. We let her out and she retreated to a spot under the car. We waited for her to cool down. I carried her a short way to the edge of the lake, and she was uninterested in anything but hiding. There was nothing to do but wait a little longer, with the cat in the shade, and then to head back home. I stayed in the back seat with Ammy while Del did the driving. We kept a breeze blowing, and, lacking any other good ideas, I dripped cool water from a bottle of iced drinking water on her fur. She lay still for this. She conserved energy. She survived the return trip and bounced back, but it was clear that to do this trip we’d need to repair the A/C. We humans would enjoy that repair as well.

Amethyst traveled well, as always. The only moment of tension on the trip East was Del’s “gas gauge meltdown.” I was driving. I mentioned that the low fuel indicator had just come on. Trouble was, there was no gas to be had at the exit we found ourselves at. Del had a temper tantrum. Not to be outdone, so did I. Del insisted, despite the heat and Amethyst’s intolerance for it, on turning off the A/C to conserve fuel. She reasoned, with some obvious logic, that if we ran out of gas, we’d all be stuck out there in the middle of the mountains of Maryland, Amethyst included. The next exit, some two miles down the freeway, had gas. Western Maryland is not the isolated place that, say, Western Wyoming is. Another crisis, albeit mostly in the mind, had been averted.

Amethyst in Virginia, August 3, 2007
Amethyst loved the cabin. Her favorite feature was the deck, perched high above the road below and surrounded by trees. She could go out there, be completely enclosed by railings, and sun to her heart’s content. She had the run of the tiny place. We placed jump ups so that she could join us in the bed. The family had arrived for a visit and there was ice cream and cake. I carried Am down the little hill from the cabin for the meet and greet. She circulated underfoot, as she usually did in such situations. She seemed a little bit disoriented, quite understandably. I returned her to the safety of the cabin’s interior. My nieces spent some time with her. They were old enough, and familiar with the ways of old cats that I trusted them to treat Amethyst respectfully. During the hot days, she had a fan, the cool of the mountain air, and the trees to keep her temperature within a tolerable range while we left her alone to sight see in Washington, D.C. After our week was up, we drove back to Illinois without incident.

Two days after our return from the road trip, Amethyst embarked on the puke-a-thon to outdo all others. She hacked up foam, bile and any liquid she managed to swallow. We tried to keep her hydrated, but she would vomit up anything she drank. She got weak; so weak that she would finish puking and then flop over in the puddle. I began thumbing through the local Yellow Pages for the names of vets. I found one, the nearest one, and called. The fellow sounded pleasant, and his voice was full of what I took to be genuine concern. I set up an appointment. In the intervening 24 hours, Amethyst stopped vomiting. She resumed drinking water and broth in earnest and keeping both down. She was resting, jumping up in the bed, getting comfortable. I cancelled my appointment with what would eventually be her new and final vet.
Enhanced by Zemanta